patration: (grin)
[personal profile] patration
With three and a half days left in the month, I'm curious to see if the island still plans on giving me a present. Either way, I don't feel overly invested. It could be that I haven't been on the island enough to be graced with a present. It could be that the island can't think of anything to give me. Perhaps most importantly, I wonder if the various shops in London could have been considered a gift given to me, relatively comfortable clothing made from familiar fabrics, teas that weren't the most well-cared for, but that still tasted of home. I'm not a man who's difficult to please; there's a gift in simply living on the island at all and getting to see far beyond my reach in the Three Kingdoms.

However, I find myself pleasantly surprised this afternoon as I stumble across a new plant— a mulberry bush— in my yard, and a few wooden boxes resting by its side. Letting the birds fly off where they may, Meng Meng wanders by and noses the leaves curiously as I seat myself by the boxes, carefully opening each one.

Silkworms.

The movement is enough to scare the colt away to where she grazes some distance away, but my immediate goal has become somehow getting them situated on the leaves of mulberry, hoping that I have what it takes to help them survive. Maybe even thrive.

(no subject)

Date: 2012-01-29 06:15 am (UTC)
notaparker: ([pb] the crafty)
From: [personal profile] notaparker
It's the sudden movement of the horse that catches my attention, but it's the box that holds it. Horses there are plenty of, and it's not as if they're alien. If it was a giant chicken... I'd still be familiar with it to a weird degree.

But one of the other Applied Engineering students rifling in a box, that perks my interest. Gets me a little more inclined to prying than usual.

(Get it, prying? Because wooden boxes.)

"What's in the box," I say, in my best Brad Pitt, but also at a volume that's just directed to myself, because I doubt he'd catch the reference. "Looks like someone got a special delivery?"

(no subject)

Date: 2012-01-31 07:41 am (UTC)
notaparker: ([pb] neeeeerd)
From: [personal profile] notaparker
A laugh bursts out of me, sourced in the very obvious fact that I'm pretty okay with insects. Obviously, technically speaking, my real affinity is for arachnids, but honestly I'm just as down with bugs.

"If its cockroaches, it'll make me homesick, but I think I'll be all right," I say, with a grin, going up on my tip-toes. Which isn't exactly necessary, but it adds to the effect of bouncing interest, which accurately reflects how I feel.

Especially when I see inside.

"Hallo nurse," I say. "Bombyx mori! Honest-to-god silkworms! Oh, that's neat."

(no subject)

Date: 2012-02-02 07:19 am (UTC)
notaparker: ([pb] charming girl)
From: [personal profile] notaparker
"In pictures, mostly, the odd habitat," I say, still leaning over the edge of the box and studying them, enraptured. I know they might freak some people out, but I've never quite gotten it. They're industrious, mechanically fun. They're wiggling around! That's cute! How is that not cute?

"Who's a cute little silkworm! You are! Who's a useful little silkworm? You are! I mean, talk about your other things. Bandages, parachutes... did you know the Mongol Horde used to wear silk under their leathers because the silk would wrap around an arrow, meaning they could get it out without the barb hooking in flesh?"

(no subject)

Date: 2012-02-07 07:42 am (UTC)
notaparker: ([pb] This pleases Spider-Woman!)
From: [personal profile] notaparker
"Functional and stylish," I say, checking out said robe. It is longer than you'd expect to be practical for tropical island wear, but clearly it's working out for him. "Sorry about the talking thing. Bad habit. Well, it's a habit. Are you getting them on the mulberry?"

I try to do this a little slower, without making it like I'm patronizing anyone, but it's a little tricky. I really do love insects and biology and such, and this has me a bit jazzed up.

(no subject)

Date: 2012-02-08 07:17 am (UTC)
notaparker: ([pb] charming girl)
From: [personal profile] notaparker
"Can I?" I say, voice rising a little with glee. "I appreciate you trusting me with valuable resources like this. Also, with super awesome insect friends. Who produce valuable resources."

(no subject)

Date: 2012-02-10 06:57 am (UTC)
notaparker: ([comics] Ta da?)
From: [personal profile] notaparker
"I appreciate it, and will not let you down," I say, a little formally but with genuine delight. I don't know that I'd be as gracious with my precious silkworms.

"Hallo, Mr Silkworm," I say, carefully and slowly reaching in to start effecting a transfer. "You're going to a place where you can eat your heart out and spin all the dense multipurpose thread you want, isn't that exciting?"

(no subject)

Date: 2012-02-11 07:30 am (UTC)
notaparker: ([pb] neeeeerd)
From: [personal profile] notaparker
"Hey, I'm at an advantage, I don't have a language or temporal barrier," I say, but my shoulders go back a little with pride, although I try not to let it jostle the worms as I move them. "Not that there's a language barrier, actually, your English is really good."

(no subject)

Date: 2012-02-12 04:18 am (UTC)
notaparker: ([pb] The feminine mystique.)
From: [personal profile] notaparker
"Cocoon," I say, nodding, "that's a good idea. Oh, man, there's so much you can do with this. Did I mention I think silk is awesome? The tensile strength on that stuff! I mean, it's not as high as spider-silk, but it's still really great."

(no subject)

Date: 2012-02-13 07:25 am (UTC)
notaparker: ([pb] neeeeerd)
From: [personal profile] notaparker
"Um," I say, trying to work out the best way to explain. "Arachnids? No, that's not going to be helpful. Eight legs, eight eyes, make webs? From spider-silk, obviously."

(no subject)

Date: 2012-02-14 03:45 am (UTC)
notaparker: ([comics] you're too much!)
From: [personal profile] notaparker
"Yes!" I say, pleased, settling the last silkworm in my hands on the bush and then immediately linking them and doing the itsy-bitsy-spider climbing gesture. "That's them! Catch 'em in webs, wrap 'em in coccoons, eat 'em up. The pest control of the insect world."

I may have a couple of webs cultivated by my windows. It jut makes sense; it keeps the insect population down in my treehouse.

(no subject)

Date: 2012-02-15 07:03 am (UTC)
notaparker: ([pb] the crafty)
From: [personal profile] notaparker
"Yeah, I don't think the silkworms would be into that," I say, smiling across my shoulder at him. "That really is too-"

The sentence halts halfway out of my mouth as the idea blinks on in my head. Certainly, we can't mate them and breed for desired traits, but that's not the only way to introduce characteristics into a species, is it?

I let the idea sit for a second, probably looking like someone simply put me on pause. I think it's sound. Actually, I'm sure it is. Probably possible, even with the level of equipment we have here, although I might have to enlist some help. Viable, certainly.

"Zhuge Liang, you're a genius," I say. "What if we could? Not like the dogs do, but what if there was another way to do it?"

And if we could, should we? Being able to do something isn't reason alone to do it.

(no subject)

Date: 2012-02-16 07:51 am (UTC)
notaparker: ([pb] Soooooo about that)
From: [personal profile] notaparker
"This might get confusing," I say, because we just had a moment where I had trouble conveying the idea of spider, and that's an idea I should be good at communicating. Peter might be a teacher, but I'm still firmly in my student days, smarts or no smarts. "What do you know about genetics? DNA?"

Please be something. Please be something.

(no subject)

Date: 2012-02-17 07:42 am (UTC)
notaparker: ([pb] Soooooo about that)
From: [personal profile] notaparker
"No, I can do this," I say. "I can... attempt to do this, and then find a book to fill in the gaps. And also because it's crazy fascinating."

Where to start...

"DNA is... it's a language, let's say. It's the language that tells an organism what to be, that says... 'Be a wolf. With black fur. The size of a horse.' And when the wolves mate, the wolf cub gets a mix of instructions from either parent. 'Be a wolf. With black and grey fur. The size of a large dog.' With me?"

(no subject)

Date: 2012-02-18 09:43 am (UTC)
notaparker: ([pb] neeeeerd)
From: [personal profile] notaparker
"So, when I'm from, we've learned to read that language, a fair bit," I say. "We can take a sample and look at it and work out if it's related to someone, for instance. But more relevantly, to an extent we can read part and know that's the bit that says, 'the size of a small pony.' Or, 'produce this kind of silk.'"

(no subject)

Date: 2012-02-19 06:54 am (UTC)
notaparker: ([pb] the crafty)
From: [personal profile] notaparker
And maybe shouldn't, indeed. That's been a consideration in the back of my mind since the idea occurred to me. Because, after all, I am not really in favor of genetically engineered people. It's a technology subject to and, frankly, rife with abuse. Because it's out there, and it's causing problems.

Like, say, me.

But with limits, and with oversight... with ethics, critically, I think there's room for progress. I'm not anti-science, I'm anti-abuse of science.

Modifying some silkworms for the benefit of our little society just isn't the same thing as illegally manufacturing a person.

"That's where it gets complicated," I say. "-er. When it gets more complicated. To do that, we take the language, the instructions and... rewrite parts of it, changing the bits we want changed, and kind of... insert it. Use our equipment to tell the little organism what to be, basically."

(no subject)

Date: 2012-02-21 07:08 am (UTC)
notaparker: ([pb] Honest look.)
From: [personal profile] notaparker
"I think so," I say, pursing my lips slightly and watching the silkworms situate themselves on their new home (socute). "But I'm going to think about it some more, and I'm going to talk to some people. I don't think- with stuff like this, I don't think barreling ahead without giving it due consideration is the way to proceed. It's not something I take lightly."

(no subject)

Date: 2012-02-22 07:06 am (UTC)
notaparker: ([pb] she still remembers you so well)
From: [personal profile] notaparker
Good question. I'm not actually sure if Peter's the person to talk to. He knows his stuff, and I think this is an area where our opinions probably won't be carbon copies of each other's, but he's also done some questionable stuff lately, science-wise.

Actually, anything-wise.

Which leaves... who?

"Hank McCoy, I think," I say. He knows his genetics, that's for sure. "Both Drs McCoy, actually. And maybe Charles Xavier."

That might be awkward, but he does seem to have a level head, and it's his field, too.

(no subject)

Date: 2012-02-24 07:23 am (UTC)
notaparker: ([pb] neeeeerd)
From: [personal profile] notaparker
"Coincidence, I am pretty sure," I say. "One's from the 1960s and one is a doctor from space, and there's no way one's a descendant of the other."

Pretty sure it would have been a different series if Bones had had the X-gene.

(no subject)

Date: 2012-02-25 07:42 am (UTC)
notaparker: ([pb] Eyes to the skyline.)
From: [personal profile] notaparker
I grin, widening by the second, and stick out my hand.

"I do, too," I confess, "and look forward to working with you. Even if that doesn't pan out, actually, I'd like to help out with the silkworms. If that's cool."

Profile

patration: (Default)
Zhuge Liang

July 2019

S M T W T F S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031   

Page Summary

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags